Family Practice Residency Program
Family Practice Residency Program
|Saint Vincent Hospital is a mission-driven hospital. The residency incorporates that mission into its training of residents who are dedicated to their patients, their education and their families.
The hospital and the residency care for virtually every medical problem, in every age group, to every race, religion and creed, to members of all socioeconomic classes. There is a dedication to service and volunteerism in all employees of the hospital and in particular, the residents.
- Night float system which eliminates long duty hours
- Exceptional training in pediatrics
- Strong adult medicine and subspecialty education
- Dedicated family medicine faculty with strong OB skills
- Unopposed primary care residency giving the residents major responsibility for most hospital patients
- Elective Wilderness Medicine Track
- Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship with numerous opportunities for residents’ event coverage
- Full-time faculty geriatrician and behaviorist dedicated to resident education
- Residents can choose either an urban/suburban or rural site for their continuity practice
- Family practice is well respected and the largest department at Saint Vincent
- Close working relationship between residents and faculty that is both mentoring and collegial
- Resident input in decision-making vital to the curriculum and overall success of the program
- Full-time medical technologist helps all graduates achieve office laboratory director certification
Our academic affiliations include:
- Pennsylvania State University, Hershey Medical Center
- Case Western Reserve School of Medicine
- Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
- Drexel University College of Medine
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Temple University School of Medicine
Applications for the Saint Vincent Family Practice Residency Program are only accepted through ERAS.
- Applicants must be a graduate of an LCME-accredited medical school. This includes all schools in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Canada.
- Applicants must have graduated from medical school within the past 3 years or be actively involved in the clinical practice of medicine.
- Applicants must have passing scores on Step I of USMLE or COMLEX with plans to submit their scores for Step II prior to the final day of rank submission.
An interview is a required part of the process, and arrangements must be made through the residency program office before the interview. Spouses and families are encouraged.
First-year salary: $53,435
Second-year salary: $54,912
Third-year salary $56,410
- Reimbursement for out-of-town moving costs up to $2,000 (subject to prevailing tax rate)
- Health and dental insurance (interns, residents and associates pay a portion of the premium costs)
- Life insurance, long-term disability, and malpractice insurance
- Education reimbursement for conferences and/or educational materials
- Education stipend: $2000 (PGY1) and $1800 (PGY2-4)
- Meal stipend provided for use while on call
- Paid time off: 3 weeks; PGY2 and PGY3 residents receive 4 days per year for CME
- ACLS/PALS/NALS/Critical Care certification
- Child Care Center available
For more information about the Family Practice Residency Program, please request an information package from us:
- Email us: email@example.com Saint Vincent Family Medicine Residency Coordinator
- Telephone us: 814.452.5105
Saint Vincent Hospital Medical Education Administrator
Phone: 814.452.5100 or 1.800.730.3003
For more information about the Wilderness Medicine Track, email:
Caitlin Clark, D.O.
“The environment at Saint Vincent’s is a perfect combination of scholarship and camaraderie.”
- Medical Student, Temple University
Saint Vincent is a great place to train for a career in family medicine. You have the opportunity to learn in a tertiary center without competing programs, which is essential for family practice. The faculty and staff are outstanding and the office staff treated us like one of the attendings. Erie is an awesome city. There is so much to see and do and you're within 3 hours of Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Toronto. We still travel back for visits and are amazed by all the wonderful changes in the area.
- Jill Owens, MD, 2000 Graduate
Saint Vincent Family Practice Residency Program was my first choice because of the strong training and supportive faculty. The top-notch education received and life-long friends made, more than made up for the sun, beaches and skiing on the West Coast. The small-town atmosphere and rural American culture in the surrounding townships were also a refreshing change from the fast living of California. Lastly, I had a blast living in a place that is known for snow. I have not had a white Christmas since moving back to the West Coast 5 years ago.
- Ed Wakatake, MD, Kent, Washington, 2000 Graduate
When I was thinking of residency programs in medical school I knew that I wanted to branch out and "see the world" aka the United States. I interviewed at over 13 programs all over North America from New York, to Atlanta and up to Portland OR. My most enjoyable interview was at Saint Vincent Family Practice Residency. It was there I was met with warm greetings and smiling faces as well as a sense of "family". My, then fiance and now wife accompanied me and she felt the same. Iam very happy I matched and enjoyed my 3 years in training in Northwest Pennsylvania. The experience was excellent and the training I received has served me well. I would highly recommend Saint Vincent Family Practice Residency to anyone considering a career in Family Practice as my time spent in Erie was unforgettable. I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona went to medical school at the University of Arizona in Tucson and then decided that I wanted to experience a different world and that is why I chose Erie. When I arrived I not only felt welcome but felt that I was part of a family. The camaraderie was second to none and the Faculty and Mentors I trained under have shaped me into what I am today. If I had the opportunity, I would do it all over again and not change a thing. I truly enjoyed the 4 seasons especially the fall colors, wow, what a site to behold! I miss my friends there and hope to see them all again sometime soon in a reunion. I would be happy to speak to anyone regarding my time there and entertain any questions that they may have about the program.
- Richard Covey, MD, Prescott, Arizona, 2000 Graduate