Family Practice Residency Program
Family Practice Residency Program
Saint Vincent is a 400-bed tertiary hospital with wide-ranging clinical inpatient learning opportunities. The hospital provides international health rotations, ACGME Osteopathic Recognition, plentiful medical student teaching opportunities, and unique Wilderness Medicine and Sports Medicine Tracks.
The Family Medicine Residency Program offers residents the option of both an urban and rural practice in which to complete their residencies. The urban setting at Saint Vincent Family Medicine Center is located on the campus of Saint Vincent Hospital and provides a valuable opportunity for residents to gain a full understanding of private office practice. The Elk Valley Medical Center in Girard provides a rural setting for residents. This practice is located approximately 15 miles from center city Erie. This state-of-the-art office employs three board-certified physicians who are committed to excellent resident education.
- Night float system which eliminates long duty hours
- Exceptional training in pediatrics
- Strong adult medicine and subspecialty education
- Dedicated family medicine faculty with strong OB skills
- Unopposed primary care residency giving the residents major responsibility for most hospital patients
- Elective Wilderness Medicine Track and Sports Medicine Tracks
- Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship with numerous opportunities for residents’ event coverage
- Full-time faculty geriatrician and behaviorist dedicated to resident education
- Residents can choose either an urban/suburban or rural site for their continuity practice
- Family practice is well respected and the largest department at Saint Vincent
- Close working relationship between residents and faculty that is both mentoring and collegial
- Resident input in decision-making vital to the curriculum and overall success of the program
- Full-time medical technologist helps all graduates achieve office laboratory director certification
Our academic affiliations include:
- Drexel University College of Medicine
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Pennsylvania State University, Hershey Medical Center
- Temple University School of Medicine
Applications for the Saint Vincent Family Practice Residency Program are only accepted through ERAS.
- Applicants must be a graduate of an LCME-accredited medical school. This includes all schools in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Canada.
- Applicants must have graduated from medical school within the past 3 years or be actively involved in the clinical practice of medicine.
- Applicants must have passing scores on Step I of USMLE or COMLEX with plans to submit their scores for Step II prior to the final day of rank submission.
An interview is a required part of the process, and arrangements must be made through the residency program office before the interview. Spouses and families are encouraged.
- Reimbursement for out-of-town moving costs up to $2,000 (subject to prevailing tax rate)
- Health and dental insurance (interns, residents and associates pay a portion of the premium costs)
- Life insurance, long-term disability, and malpractice insurance
- Education stipend for conferences and/or educational materials: $2000 (PGY1) and $1800 (PGY2-4)
- Meal stipend provided for use while on call
- Paid time off: 3 weeks; PGY2 and PGY3 residents receive 4 days per year for CME
- Child Care Center available
For more information about the Family Practice Residency Program, please request an information package from us:
- Email us: email@example.com Saint Vincent Family Medicine Residency Coordinator
- Telephone us: 814.452.5105
Saint Vincent Hospital Medical Education Administrator
Phone: 814.452.5100 or 1.800.730.3003
For more information about the Wilderness Medicine Track, email: Dr. St. Julien, firstname.lastname@example.org
I absolutely love being a part of the Saint Vincent Family Medicine Residency! My experience has been far better than anything I expected. Everyone at Saint Vincent Hospital whether they are involved with the residency or not is welcoming and friendly. The hospital and outpatient offices create an excellent environment for learning with unwavering support from attending physicians and faculty. At the end of the 3rd year I feel comfortable practicing in both the inpatient and outpatient settings. This residency not only provides you with the knowledge and skills to practice family medicine, but also allows you to pursue unique opportunities related to your personal interests. I would absolutely recommend this program!
- Amanda Wincik, D.O., 2019 Graduate
I feel very fortunate that I had the opportunity to complete my training at St. Vincent. Aside from the knowledge and skills I acquired during my three years, what I will remember most is the community around me. Our attendings instilled in us that as physicians we are life long learners and that it is a privilege to be able to do what we do each day.
My fellow residents provided an endless amount of support and encouragement. I cherish the friendships I formed during residency and am certain that they will be life long.
My three years at St. Vincent’s were filled with challenges, but it was one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had and I am grateful that it has shaped me into the physician I am today.
- Krystina Bodalia, M.D., 2018 Graduate
My residency training at St. Vincent family medicine was a great preparation for family practice. In order to be a competent family medicine practitioner, you must be exposed to all scopes of medicine so that you know in what direction to point your patients. Training at St. Vincent allows you exposure to all major specialties, and over the course of three years, you become familiar with the management of patients with certain diagnoses from both a primary and specialist perspective. I’m very pleased with the training I received at St. Vincent family medicine residency.
- Lydia Travnik, D.O., 2015 Graduate
“The environment at Saint Vincent’s is a perfect combination of scholarship and camaraderie.”
- Medical Student, Temple University
Saint Vincent is a great place to train for a career in family medicine. You have the opportunity to learn in a tertiary center without competing programs, which is essential for family practice. The faculty and staff are outstanding and the office staff treated us like one of the attendings. Erie is an awesome city. There is so much to see and do and you're within 3 hours of Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Toronto. We still travel back for visits and are amazed by all the wonderful changes in the area.
- Jill Owens, MD, 2000 Graduate
Saint Vincent Family Practice Residency Program was my first choice because of the strong training and supportive faculty. The top-notch education received and life-long friends made, more than made up for the sun, beaches and skiing on the West Coast. The small-town atmosphere and rural American culture in the surrounding townships were also a refreshing change from the fast living of California. Lastly, I had a blast living in a place that is known for snow. I have not had a white Christmas since moving back to the West Coast 5 years ago.
- Ed Wakatake, MD, Kent, Washington, 2000 Graduate
When I was thinking of residency programs in medical school I knew that I wanted to branch out and "see the world" aka the United States. I interviewed at over 13 programs all over North America from New York, to Atlanta and up to Portland OR. My most enjoyable interview was at Saint Vincent Family Practice Residency. It was there I was met with warm greetings and smiling faces as well as a sense of "family". My, then fiance and now wife accompanied me and she felt the same. Iam very happy I matched and enjoyed my 3 years in training in Northwest Pennsylvania. The experience was excellent and the training I received has served me well. I would highly recommend Saint Vincent Family Practice Residency to anyone considering a career in Family Practice as my time spent in Erie was unforgettable. I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona went to medical school at the University of Arizona in Tucson and then decided that I wanted to experience a different world and that is why I chose Erie. When I arrived I not only felt welcome but felt that I was part of a family. The camaraderie was second to none and the Faculty and Mentors I trained under have shaped me into what I am today. If I had the opportunity, I would do it all over again and not change a thing. I truly enjoyed the 4 seasons especially the fall colors, wow, what a site to behold! I miss my friends there and hope to see them all again sometime soon in a reunion. I would be happy to speak to anyone regarding my time there and entertain any questions that they may have about the program.
- Richard Covey, MD, Prescott, Arizona, 2000 Graduate