Psychiatry Residency Program
Psychiatry Residency Program
Our Psychiatry Residency Program, based at Allegheny General Hospital (AGH), has the following educational mission:
- To train residents to accurately and efficiently diagnose and treat patients with psychiatric and behavioral disorders using a biopsychosocial approach
- To foster critical thinking and leadership skills
Mastery of these skills enhances the residents' chances of success in whatever type of position they may choose after graduation, whether it be private practice, research, academics, and/or administrative work. Most graduates go on to become clinical psychiatrists who practice in a variety of settings.
The clinical and didactic experiences are intentionally eclectic so that graduates will be proficient in addressing all of the following areas with any patient:
- Accurate diagnosis
- Biopsychosocial formulation that identifies possible etilogies of symptoms
- Formulation of a treatment plan that includes any necessary medical evaluation, appropriate psychotherapies, and community, family and social interventions
- Psychopharmacologic treatments
- A variety of psychotherapeutic interventions, including supportive, cognitive, behavioral, psychodynamic and group treatments
All applications are handled through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). Our program offers PGY-I positions through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). The Psychiatry Residency Training Program will not accept any paper applications.
We offer 4 PGY1 positions each academic year; we do not offer positions pre-match.
We are not able to offer observerships or externships.
The following are answers to the most frequently asked questions from applicants
- Foreign medical school graduates - We do accept applications from graduates of foreign medical schools.
- We only accept J-1 visas; we do not accept H-1visas.
- We are looking for candidates with at least 4 months of psychiatry experience in the U.S. (eg, externship, observership, or research).
- ECFMG certification is not required for the application process, but it will be required should you match with the program.
- USMLE - Applicants must have passed both Step I and Step II (both parts) of the USMLE. We have no minimum score but prefer scores of 80 or higher and candidates who have passed on their first attempts.
- We prefer applicants who have graduated in the past 5 years.
We review all applications submitted through ERAS.
Interviews are granted on an invitation basis only. Our interview season runs from mid October through the end of January.
Psychiatry Residency Training Program
Cindy DeLuca, Program Coordinator
Allegheny General Hospital
Department of Psychiatry
4 Allegheny Center, 8th Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Shravan Agrawal, MD
Alvaro Barriga, PhD
Vered Birmaher, MD
Damira Caric-Sicenica, MD
Amit Chopra, MD
Judith Cohen, MD
Michael Franzen, PhD
Alicia Kaplan, MD
Nancy Kennedy, PsyD
Anthony Mannarino, PhD
Anjali Medhekar, MD
Teri Meyers, PhD
Ewa Mickiewicz, MD
P.V. Nickell, MD
Gulam Noorani, MD
Michael Rancurello, MD
Lori Siegel, PhD
Christina Smith, MD
Kathleen Stewart, PsyD
Gary Swanson, MD
Richard Withers, PhD