Intravenous Catheter Insertion
This course is for health care providers who need to learn how to accurately insert an intravenous (IV) catheter. The course includes an overview of anatomy and physiology, plus hands-on practice with the Virtual IV Task Trainer and simulated insertion arms.
- Demonstrate an understanding of anatomy and physiology by identifying sites for IV insertion
- Identify proper techniques for assessing accurate veins for intravenous insertion
- Review proper insertion of intravenous catheter following best practices
- Demonstrate the ability to proficiently insert an intravenous catheter and verification of proper functioning of IV catheter
Upon completion of this course, the learner will:
- Assemble equipment and supplies needed to collect blood and perform cannulation/venipuncture.
- Demonstrate the steps in performing blood collection and cannulation/venipuncture procedure.
- Assess techniques and equipment used to minimize biohazard exposure in blood collection.
- Review documentation of intravenous procedure.
- Interprofessional team members