AHN Neuroscience Institute Services at Allegheny Valley Hospital
The AHN Neuroscience Institute at Allegheny Valley Hospital provides specialized neurological services. Our experienced team provides care for nervous system conditions as well as prompt, expert stroke care.
Neurologic and stroke care at Allegheny Valley Hospital: Why choose us?
People turn to Allegheny Valley for:
- Expert diagnosis: Neurologic conditions can be challenging to diagnose and treat. Our team has the expertise and skills to arrive at an accurate diagnosis and develop a personalized treatment plan.
- Latest diagnostic technology: Our specially trained team uses sophisticated testing technology to perform the full range of rapid diagnostic tests.
- Excellent stroke care: Our stroke care team provides 24/7 access to stroke specialists so you get the services you need, when you need them. We received the Get With the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award from the American Stroke Association.
- Traumatic brain injury rehabilitation: We have a 17-bed inpatient traumatic brain injury (TBI) rehab unit 30 minutes northeast of downtown Pittsburgh. Our multidisciplinary team helps patients recover from TBI from car accidents, falls, surgeries, brain bleeding, and brain tumor removal.
Neurological exam: Diagnostic tests
We use the latest testing to quickly and accurately diagnose conditions and disorders of the nervous system:
- Electroencephalogram (EEG): Electrodes placed on your head, connected to a recording machine, measure the brain’s electrical activity.
- Electromyography (EMG): A thin needle inserted into a muscle checks the muscle’s electrical activity, examining the health of the muscles and nerves.
- Electronystagmography (ENG): Electrodes placed around your eyes measure the eyes’ reaction to stimuli in the ear canal, including cold and warm water or air.
- Audiogram: A hearing test measures how well you hear sounds at different frequencies to help diagnose hearing loss.
- Evoked potential test: Wires on your scalp measure the brain’s response after stimulating specific nerve pathways.
Telemedicine stroke services at Allegheny Valley Hospital
When someone is having a stroke, time matters. The sooner the person receives care, the better their chances of recovery. We provide:
- Telemedicine services: Our neurologist examines the patient via video technology, providing prompt diagnosis and treatment.
- Comprehensive stroke team: Our team includes a neurologist with special training in stroke and a radiologist to perform rapid diagnostic tests.
- 24/7 care: We provide access to the stroke team at Allegheny General Hospital’s Comprehensive Stroke Center at any time of day or night.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment with an Allegheny Valley Hospital specialist.
Allegheny Valley Hospital
1301 Carlisle Street
Natrona Heights, PA 15065