Unsuccessful weight loss attempts can leave you feeling frustrated and hopeless. If obesity is affecting your quality of life, bariatric surgery may provide a lasting solution.
At Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Bariatric and Metabolic Institute, our bariatric specialists have deep experience performing gastric sleeve surgery on patients from different walks of life. Learning about what this surgery involves can help you decide whether this procedure – or weight loss surgery in general – could benefit you.
Are you ready to lose weight and improve your life? At one of our free information sessions, you can meet our weight loss specialists and learn more about bariatric surgery options. Sign up online or find a session near you by calling (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677.
Gastric sleeve surgery, also called a sleeve gastrectomy, is a type of bariatric surgery that involves removing a large portion (about 80 percent) of the stomach. Before gastric sleeve surgery, you will be sedated for your comfort and safety. During the procedure, a bariatric surgeon will:
- Staple off a large section of the stomach, creating a tube-like pouch that resembles the shape of a banana
- Remove the remaining stomach tissue (called the fundus) from the body
- Divide the small intestine
- Attach the bottom end of the small intestine to the newly created small stomach pouch
- Connect the top portion of the divided small intestine to the small intestine further down, allowing for optimal digestion
Sleeve gastrectomy helps you lose weight in two main ways:
- A smaller stomach helps you eat less in one sitting, translating to fewer calories consumed.
- Research has shown that this procedure has a positive impact on gut hormones, helping you feel full longer and improving blood sugar control.
Each type of bariatric surgery offers certain advantages and disadvantages. Your overall health and other factors may mean one procedure could offer you better results.
We’ll explain all your options and help you determine the best way forward. Often, you can decide the surgical approach you prefer.
Sleeve gastrectomy advantages
Gastric sleeve surgery offers several benefits. It:
- Helps you lose a significant amount of weight, quickly, with results similar to that of gastric bypass surgery (many patients maintain at least 50 percent of their weight loss)
- Involves fewer changes to your digestive system (including no foreign objects or rerouting of the digestive organs) than gastric bypass surgery
- Offers lower complication rates compared to gastric bypass surgery
- Helps many patients control type 2 diabetes
Sleeve gastrectomy disadvantages
Gastric sleeve surgery also involves certain disadvantages. It:
- Is nonreversible (permanent)
- Can lead to long-term vitamin and mineral deficiencies
When you choose AHN for gastric sleeve surgery, you can also expect:
- Expertise from a team of highly trained bariatric surgeons who are board-certified and trained in gastric sleeve procedures
- Wide-ranging support that connects you to the resources you need to accomplish your goals, from financial guidance to support groups
- Team approach from providers with different specialties – psychologists, dietitians, surgeons, and nurses – who work together for your benefit
- Convenience of multiple locations so you can access the care you need, close to home
In addition to sleeve gastrectomy, our bariatric specialists perform a range of weight loss procedures, including:
Request an appointment with one of our weight loss specialists. You can also find out more about our bariatric surgery services by calling (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677.