At our institute, we use a proven process that consistently delivers excellent results:
- Free information session: We encourage everyone interested in bariatric surgery to first attend one of our information sessions. These sessions are free and are held regularly at multiple locations, for your convenience. At these presentations, you can meet our bariatric surgery staff and learn about our surgery offerings. You’ll also take home an in-depth informational booklet about the basics of weight loss surgery.
- Your first visit: Next, you’ll meet one-on-one with one of our bariatric surgeons. At this time, we will perform a thorough assessment of your health and weight loss expectations. You will also meet other members of our team, including our dietitian and support professionals. This assessment will help determine if you qualify for weight loss surgery.
- Insurance coverage verification: Now that you are considering bariatric surgery, it is important to know if your insurance company will cover the procedure. You can find this out by calling your insurance company. Most (but not all) insurance companies cover obesity surgery in full. Others may include certain restrictions. Our specialized insurance coordinator will help you navigate this process.
- Lifestyle change commitment: Surgery is only a tool for weight loss. If you meet the qualifications for surgery, it’s time to commit to the diet and exercise changes you’ll need to succeed in your weight loss efforts after surgery. You will receive a personalized plan and weight loss goal, which we use to help measure your dedication to lifestyle changes. We’ll work with you for at least three months (sometimes longer, depending on your insurance plan). During this time, we will help you adopt healthier eating and lifestyle habits. You will also need to get pre-operative tests completed, which our team can help you schedule at your convenience. Our team will assess your progress along the way. Learn about weight loss surgery requirements.
- Pre-operative visit: Once we ensure your commitment to a healthy lifestyle, we will schedule your bariatric surgery. Before surgery, you’ll attend an informational pre-operative visit. At this visit, our staff will tell you what to expect before, during, and after surgery. We will answer any questions you may have. Your physician will order some final tests and perform one more examination to assess your health and readiness for surgery.
- Your bariatric surgery: Someone from our office will call you shortly before the day of your surgery to tell you when and where to arrive. Our team will take excellent care of you throughout the entire process, ensuring your safety and comfort. Most of our bariatric surgery patients will stay in the hospital for two nights. Learn more about how to prepare for bariatric surgery.
Attend a free weight loss surgery information session
At one of our free information sessions, you can meet our weight loss specialists and learn more about bariatric surgery options. Find a session near you by calling (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677.