Find a specialist, search clinical trials, and discover continuing medical education events. Learn about nursing as well as our internship, residency, and fellowship opportunities.
AHN Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
Allegheny General Hospital is home to a level 4 epilepsy center, the highest ranking from the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC). A level 4 center provides advanced neurodiagnostic monitoring, and extensive medical, neurophysical, and psychosocial treatments for epilepsy. It also offers a broad range of surgical procedures.
We have even more ways for you to control your epilepsy. We provide medication management, and the latest minimally invasive and advanced surgical procedures so you can manage your care and get your life back.
AHN Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
320 East North Avenue, Suite 206
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Epilepsy care at AHN: Why choose us?
People with epilepsy choose AHN because of our:
- Epilepsy expertise: Our board-certified neurologists and neurosurgeons have in-depth (fellowship) training in epilepsy care, and we treat more patients with epilepsy than most hospitals in western Pennsylvania. The National Association of Epilepsy Centers has recognized AHN as a level 4 Surgical Comprehensive Epilepsy Center — the highest distinction for epilepsy diagnosis and treatment.
- Advanced diagnostic testing: At our Epilepsy Monitoring Unit, located at Allegheny General Hospital, we use sophisticated technology to learn more about your seizures, in a safe and controlled environment. This testing helps us recommend treatments that are more likely to be effective for you.
- Collaborative approach: Your care team — including epileptologists (neurologists with training in epilepsy), neurosurgeons, and psychologists – work together to streamline your diagnosis and treatment.
- Novel treatment options: If medication does not control your symptoms, we offer a full range of sophisticated surgical solutions, including advanced seizure mapping with intracranial electrodes, seizure focus resections, and laser ablations. We also have extensive expertise in performing innovative neuromodulation procedures, where we implant a small device into the body to override the electrical currents causing seizures. We have successfully performed vagus nerve stimulation surgery for two decades, before this therapy was widely available. We also offer the innovative NeuroPace procedure and deep brain stimulation for multifocal epilepsy.
- Wide-ranging support services: It is common to experience anxiety, depression, or other uncomfortable feelings due to the uncertainties of living with epilepsy. We provide education, support groups, and resources through the Epilepsy Foundation of Western Pennsylvania to support you through any emotional challenges.
- Focus on research: Our epilepsy specialists are national leaders in epilepsy research. This focus helps us offer promising treatments, such as novel medications, before they are widely available.
About the AHN Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
Our physicians are highly experienced in performing the latest epilepsy treatments, including innovative neuromodulation procedures such as vagus nerve stimulation surgery and robotic procedures. See what makes these treatments so effective by learning more about epilepsy.