Brain surgery can be an effective treatment for many medical conditions, such as brain tumors and brain aneurysms. At Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Neuroscience Institute, our neurosurgeons are among the most experienced in the country.
At AHN, you are under the care of elite physicians who specialize in treating patients who have complex and rare conditions affecting the brain. Our collaborative, personalized care approach ensures you receive the most effective treatment and the best chance to return to a full, active life after brain surgery.
When you come to AHN for brain surgery, you benefit from our:
- Neurosurgery expertise: AHN neurosurgeons are board-certified and fellowship-trained, so they have a deep understanding of neurological conditions, including rare brain tumors and pain disorders. We have expertise in performing innovative types of brain surgery, such as complex intracranial surgery.
- Minimally invasive approach: Our team is skilled in advanced minimally invasive procedures, having pioneered many of these sophisticated techniques. Compared to open surgery, a less invasive approach helps protect healthy brain tissue, so you retain more abilities and get back to your life sooner. Learn more about the benefits of minimally invasive neurosurgery and minimally invasive brain surgery.
- Sophisticated tools: Our team uses advanced imaging systems and tools during intricate surgeries. This equipment helps our specialists perform more precise, less invasive procedures. We can often treat even hard-to-reach tumors that were once considered inoperable.
- Research efforts: Our commitment to neurology research helps us offer you the most innovative and effective neurological treatments.
Our neurosurgeons treat a wide range of brain conditions, including:
At AHN, we work with you to determine the best treatment for your symptoms and circumstances. Our care team considers multiple factors, such as your overall health and symptom severity, before deciding whether brain surgery will benefit you.
Our ultimate goal of brain surgery is to effectively treat the problem while protecting your brain’s abilities, so you can continue to function normally after the procedure.
Our neurosurgeons have years of experience treating a wide variety of conditions, using both traditional and minimally invasive procedures:
- Endoscopic endonasal procedures remove brain tumors and lesions through the nose. This surgery is highly effective, with many patients experiencing fewer side effects and a quicker recovery. AHN’s experts are leaders in their fields and have refined these procedures through their experience and successful outcomes.
- Endoscopic surgery involves making a small incision in the head, instead of a large incision required for traditional brain surgery. The surgeon inserts a flexible tube called an endoscope that has a camera on its tip. The surgeon uses a high-definition monitor to provide a detailed view of the area, leading to a more precise, effective surgery. Learn more about neuroendoscopy.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery is a nonsurgical outpatient procedure that delivers a single, focused, high dose of radiation to a tumor. Our sophisticated system enables our surgeons to treat brain tumors of many shapes and sizes. This procedure can also treat other brain conditions, including vascular malformations, acoustic neuromas, and trigeminal neuralgia.
To schedule an appointment or learn more about AHN neuroscience services, call (412) 359-6200 in Pittsburgh or (814) 452-7575 in Erie.
If you're an existing patient, you can also call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 in Pittsburgh or request an appointment with AHN neuroscience services