Our program recognizes that research and scholarship are integral to developing both your mind and your career, especially during residency.
Whether writing a clinical vignette or participating in translational research, our program fully supports and encourages your pursuit of scholarly endeavors through a strong mentoring program, travel funding, research elective time, and dedicated support resources.
We are a program that has aggressively expanded research and scholarship among our residents and, over the past two academic years, we have increased scholarly output by over 60 percent!
Leading this initiative is the Internal Medicine Residency Program Research Committee, co-chaired by Tarun Sharma, MD, and Mario Castagnaro, PhD, and composed of MDs and PhDs who have a passion for research and a drive to see our residents excel. Our Research Committee facilitates collaboration between residents, fellows, and faculty across the entire Medicine Institute, to ensure that you can do research with a mentor from one of the subspecialties during your training.
As a resident, you can take full advantage of the following resources:
- Elective Research Time - In your second and third year, you can apply for a full or half block of protected elective time away from rotations to complete key research-oriented tasks.
- Biostatistical Support - We can offer you support from trained biostatisticians that will help you design your study, collect, and interpret your research data.
- Travel Grants - You can apply for dedicated funds to help defray the cost of travel and conference expenses, whether you’re presenting across the state or across the country.
- Research Lecture Series - this series of collaborative discussions, created by residents and faculty, will not only help you learn about different facets of research. It is designed with the specific goal of helping you complete research during your residency here at AHN.
- Academic Support - You can count on support from a dedicated core of experienced writers and educators who will help you with a number of tasks such as reviewing and critiquing your work, helping you edit and revise your work, and even arranging a mock presentation of your work (so you are well prepared for questions).
- Research and Scholarship Day - You, your co-residents, and fellows across the Medicine Institute can present your work at our annual poster competition. In addition to circulating your work and networking with faculty across Medicine Institute, you will compete to win prizes.