Jefferson Hospital Advanced Wound Healing Center
A nonhealing wound can be painful and embarrassing. It also increases your risk of infection. At the Jefferson Hospital Advanced Wound Healing Center, you receive expert wound care that promotes healing. Jefferson is part of the Allegheny Health Network (AHN).
What is a nonhealing wound?
Nonhealing, or chronic, wounds remain after four or more weeks of treatment. Our wound specialists treat:
- Ulcers caused by diabetes or poor blood circulation
- Surgical incisions
- Pressure ulcers from prolonged sitting or lying prone
- Lymphedema (chronic arm or leg swelling)
- Traumatic injuries
Wound care at Jefferson Hospital: Why choose us?
Our wound specialists evaluate all factors that affect healing. We use this information to craft a personalized care plan tailored to your unique situation. In addition to patient-focused care, we offer:
- Dedicated team of specialists: We work closely with other physicians at Jefferson. Your team may include vascular surgeons, infectious disease experts, diabetes specialists, cardiologists, oncologists, and plastic surgeons.
- Rehabilitation services: Chronic wounds on the feet, ankles, thighs, and buttocks can make movement painful. Our physical therapy and rehabilitation specialists help relieve discomfort and keep the wound from getting worse. We also offer specialized therapy for people with lymphedema, a condition that causes painful arm and leg swelling.
- Collaboration with community providers: We partner with your primary care or referring physician to address problems that can interfere with wound healing. These issues include hypertension (high blood pressure), diabetes, and tobacco use.
- Home health services: The AHN Healthcare@Home program sends specialists to your home to change wound dressings and check for signs of infection. We help you and your caregivers learn how to care for wounds at home. We also can coordinate medical supplies and equipment.
Advanced wound treatments
At Jefferson, you have access to a wide range of specialty wound care services and therapies:
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy: This treatment, offered at Bethel Park Health + Wellness Pavilion, delivers high concentrations of oxygen to your bloodstream to bolster natural wound-healing abilities. Approximately 10 percent of people with nonhealing wounds may benefit from hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
- Compression therapy: We use compression bandages, stockings, and wraps to reduce swelling and improve blood flow.
- Debridement: The removal of dead, or necrotic, tissue helps prevent infection and promotes the growth of healthy tissue.
- Dermal products: We use cellular- and tissue-based skin substitutes to protect wounds from additional trauma and trauma.
- Electrical stimulation: To accelerate healing, your physician may administer small pulses of low-frequency electrical current directly to the wound area.
- Ultrasound therapy: UltraMIST® eliminates infection-inducing bacteria using a low-frequency, ultrasound-generated saline mist.
- Wound care products: Depending on your wound needs, we offer topical gels, hydrocolloid and foam dressings, and casts.
- Burn treatments: Our wound specialists treat people with burn injuries. Severe burn injuries receive the highest-level care at the West Penn Burn Center.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment with a specialist at Jefferson Hospital.
We have two wound care locations in the South Hills area: