Pregnancy and Newborn Services at West Penn
AHN is western Pennsylvania’s fastest growing health system for labor and delivery.* At West Penn Hospital, we welcome thousands of newborns into the world every year in our spacious birthing center.
Pregnancy and newborn services at West Penn Hospital: Why choose us?
At West Penn, moms and their babies benefit from:
- Personalized labor and delivery care: During your stay, you receive care from the same dedicated team of nurses. After delivery, our lactation consultants can help you as you get started with breastfeeding.
- Care for critically ill infants: Hospitals from across the tri-state area send critically ill infants to our Level 3 neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Our NICU is staffed by board-certified neonatologists — doctors who specialize in critical care for newborns.
- Apnea support: Premature or critically ill babies are at risk for apnea, a condition that pauses breathing or causes shallow breathing. Our Infant Apnea Program provides support for infants who need extra care and monitoring after they’re discharged from the NICU.
- Help for depression: We’re among a select few medical centers in the country with an intensive outpatient treatment program for moms experiencing anxiety or depression. Learn more about perinatal and postpartum depression and our program at the Alexis Joy D’Achille Center for Perinatal Mental Health.
- Addiction services: Our specialized Perinatal Hope program offers one-of-a-kind support and services for moms-to-be and new moms dealing with substance use disorder. We also give advanced medical care to drug-dependent newborns to ease withdrawal symptoms.
- Comprehensive programs: AHN’s comprehensive pregnancy and newborn services give you access to nurse midwives, fertility specialists, high-risk pregnancy care, and pregnancy and childbirth classes.
Make your pregnancy journey with AHN
Pregnancy can be exciting … and stressful. We’re here to help you and your baby stay healthy every step of the way, from conception through birth and beyond. Check out our guide to find out what to expect during your pregnancy.
Know where to go on delivery day
When it’s time to welcome your baby to the world, make sure you know the best way to get to the Labor and Delivery unit when you get here.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment with a specialist at West Penn Hospital.
West Penn Hospital
4800 Friendship Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
*Claim based on inpatient utilization data for 29 counties in western Pennsylvania as reported by Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council for calendar years 2012–Q3 2017. Available at http://www.phc4.org/reports/utilization/inpatient/.