Allergies and Autoimmune Disease
People who have environmental or food allergies may have a higher risk of developing autoimmune disease. At the Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Autoimmunity Institute, we offer specialized care for people with allergies, asthma, and many other autoimmune diseases.
We offer medical expertise from 15 types of autoimmune specialists in one convenient location. That way, you can easily address every way an allergy or other autoimmune condition impacts your health.
Specialized care for allergies and autoimmune disease
An allergy is your body’s response to a substance or food it sees as a threat. This response can lead to mild or sometimes life-threatening symptoms.
Our board-certified allergy specialist has received extra (fellowship) training in the diagnosis and treatment of allergies. This allergist works with other physicians to care for people affected by conditions caused by an autoimmune response, including:
- Food allergies: When something you eat, such as peanuts, triggers an immune system response
- Environmental allergies: When tiny substances in the air, such as ragweed, trigger inflammation and other symptoms
- Eczema: Red, sometimes scaly skin patches
- Asthma: Airway inflammation that can make it hard for you to breathe
- Rhinitis: Congestion and inflammation in the nose
- Sinusitis: Inflamed sinuses, near your forehead and cheeks
At our institute, different autoimmune specialists work together to get you world-class care conveniently. They provide comprehensive testing and treatment for these conditions.
Often, avoiding an allergen (the source of your symptoms) is the best treatment. We also offer allergy shots and an oral immunotherapy treatment that has helped many people outgrow certain environmental and food allergies.
If we think you have an autoimmune disease in addition to an allergy, our specialists closely collaborate to diagnose your symptoms. Then, they provide the best treatment(s) for your circumstances.
Once we’ve diagnosed you, we will sit down with you to explain everything you need to know about the condition. We’ll also partner with you throughout your life to track any changes in your health and improve your quality of life.
A new approach to allergies and autoimmune disease care
We care for people with allergies and autoimmune diseases like nowhere else in the country. When you choose the Autoimmunity Institute for allergy care, you benefit from our:
- Skilled specialists, which include trained physicians with deep knowledge of allergy and asthma care as well as specialists who treat dozens of other autoimmune diseases
- Focus on research that leads to care innovations that allow us to better diagnose and treat people with autoimmune diseases
- Coordinated care that makes managing your medical records and medication lists easier than ever before
- Updated facility that is designed for your comfort and makes it easier for your specialists to discuss your care
- Convenience where we managing multiple autoimmune conditions in one place, often at one time
West Penn Hospital
4815 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Located in 250 Mellon Pavilion
Call (833) 242-8246 to learn more about AHN autoimmune services.