Obesity and Diabetes
As the leading risk factor for type 2 diabetes, obesity is a common concern for people with diabetes. At Allegheny Health Network’s (AHN) Bariatric and Metabolic Institute, we understand how hard it can be to manage these conditions and your overall health.
That’s why our institute approach to care brings together specialists in endocrine health, bariatric surgery, and medical weight loss – all under one roof at West Penn Hospital in Pittsburgh’s Bloomfield section. This approach makes it easier for you to get the care you need to effectively control diabetes and your weight.
Our approach to type 2 diabetes and weight loss care
Our institute offers comprehensive services for diabetes and weight loss. We’re passionate about helping people with type 2 diabetes lose weight and improve their lives.
When you choose us for diabetes care and weight loss, you can expect:
- Diabetes expertise: Our team includes board-certified endocrinologists who have many years of experience caring for complex endocrine-related conditions. In addition to type 2 diabetes, our specialists diagnose and treat type 1 diabetes, gestational diabetes, metabolic and nutrition disorders, and pituitary diseases.
- Personalized treatment plan: Diabetes often adds unique challenges to weight loss. We work with you to tailor a diabetic diet plan that works toward your weight loss goals while effectively managing diabetes.
- Wide range of weight loss aids: We offer resources to help you better manage your weight and maintain a healthier lifestyle. From short- and long-term medications to meal replacements and bariatric surgery, we’ll evaluate your health and help determine the best treatments for you. Learn more about our obesity treatments.
- Team approach: Our care team includes a pharmacist, behavioral health specialist, dietitian, and social worker. These providers work together, with you, and with our board-certified weight loss and diabetes specialists at every step in the care process. A team-based approach ensures we address every aspect of your health and weight challenges, providing more complete care. Meet our bariatric specialists.
- Focus on whole health: You’ll work one-on-one with nutrition and behavioral health specialists to adapt the way you eat, think, and live. Healthier habits can lead to sustained weight loss – and the potential of reversing type 2 diabetes.
- Convenience: We provide diabetes care and weight loss services at multiple locations throughout western Pennsylvania. At our main location in West Penn Hospital in Pittsburgh (Bloomfield), you can see more than one specialist during one visit. We offer the same high level of care at each location, making it easier than ever to get the care you need.