Allegheny Health Network (AHN) is among few programs in western Pennsylvania delivering specialized care for rare and complex skin diseases. Our general dermatologists also treat common problems, including acne and rashes. We deliver the full range of general dermatology services, including treatments for hair loss.
General dermatology at AHN: Why choose us?
Our general dermatologists deliver trusted care for skin diseases and hair conditions. They listen carefully as you describe your symptoms, which allows them to recommend the treatments that best meet your needs. And if standard treatments aren’t successful, our specialists are here for you with additional care options. Meet our doctors.
Highlights of our program include:
- Care close to home: Our general dermatologists are in locations throughout western Pennsylvania, making it easier to receive care for sudden symptoms. For example, if you experience a painful rash, we can often see you the same day. Find out more about our locations.
- Accurate diagnosis: AHN is one of the few programs in western Pennsylvania with a physician dedicated to diagnosing skin problems (dermatopathologist). Our specialist examines skin tissue samples under a microscope to detect problems with a high degree of accuracy. This information allows you to receive the right care to relieve your symptoms.
- Access to specialists: AHN is home to dermatologists who treat serious skin problems, including cutaneous T-cell lymphoma — a type of skin cancer. If our general dermatologists detect signs of this condition, we refer you to our specialist. We share important information about your health history, which keeps your care moving forward. Read more about our cutaneous T-cell lymphoma clinic.
- Cosmetic dermatology services: We deliver cosmetic dermatology services that help you look and feel your best. We offer the latest cosmetic dermatology options, including injectables and laser treatments. Get more information about our cosmetic dermatology services.
Skin and hair conditions we treat
Our general dermatologists successfully treat a variety of conditions affecting the skin and hair. Your care starts with a detailed evaluation, including a physical exam and questions about your health history. This information helps us tailor tests and treatments so you can achieve the best possible results.
Conditions we treat include:
A rash is a skin irritation that causes red, itchy, or bumpy skin. Our general dermatologists help many people get relief in a few days with medicated creams. We also offer specialized care for severe rashes with symptoms that come and go, including contact dermatitis. Learn more about contact dermatitis testing and treatment.
We also treat rashes due to other medical conditions, such as:
- Psoriasis, which causes scaly rashes and dry patches
- Eczema, which causes patches of red, inflamed skin and blistering
Hair problems we treat include thinning hair and hair loss. We have years of experience caring for men and women with hair problems. This experience helps our physicians pinpoint the source of the issue, which allows us to deliver excellent care.
Conditions our general dermatologists treat include:
- Hair loss due to medical problems, such as lupus
- Hereditary hair loss
- Round patches of hair loss (alopecia areata)
Acne happens when buildups of oil or bacteria block the pores of your skin. Acne causes blemishes, such as pimples and blackheads. These blemishes may occur anywhere on your body. At AHN, you have access to many care options, including the latest acne medications.
Conditions we treat include:
- Acne that causes large blemishes beneath the surface of your skin (cystic acne)
- Rosacea, which may cause patches of red, inflamed skin and pimple breakouts
- Scars from severe acne
We help you get relief from skin growths that are causing discomfort or affecting your appearance.
Types of skin growths we treat include:
- Cysts, which are abnormal pockets of fluid beneath the skin’s surface
- Skin tags, which are small growths that hang off the surface of your skin
Our general dermatologists detect and treat the earliest signs of cancer, including abnormal moles (pigmented lesions). If you have a history of skin cancer or higher-than-average risk, we may refer you to specialists in our melanoma and pigmented lesion clinic.
Types of cancer we treat include:
- Basal cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma