Comprehensive Epilepsy Care
At Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Neuroscience Institute, we provide comprehensive diagnosis and treatment services to address every aspect of your care in one place. Our epilepsy specialists use sophisticated technology to pinpoint a precise diagnosis and guide you to the most effective treatments for you.
Unmanaged seizures due to epilepsy can disrupt your life in many different ways. At AHN, we provide the resources you need to manage the physical and emotional effects of epilepsy so you can live life with minimal disruptions.
Epilepsy care at AHN: Why choose us?
People with epilepsy choose AHN because of our:
- Epilepsy expertise: Our board-certified neurologists have in-depth (fellowship) training in epilepsy care, and we treat more patients with epilepsy than most hospitals in western Pennsylvania. The National Association of Epilepsy Centers has recognized AHN as a Level 4 Surgical Comprehensive Epilepsy Center – the highest distinction for epilepsy diagnosis and treatment.
- Advanced diagnostic testing: At our Epilepsy Monitoring Unit, located at Allegheny General Hospital, we use sophisticated technology to learn more about your seizures, in a safe and controlled environment. This testing helps us recommend treatments that are more likely to be effective for you.
- Collaborative approach: Your care team – including epileptologists (neurologists with training in epilepsy), neurosurgeons, and psychologists – work together to streamline your diagnosis and treatment.
- Novel treatment options: If medication does not control your symptoms, we offer sophisticated surgical solutions. We offer the full range of surgical options, including advanced seizure mapping with intracranial electrodes, seizure focus resections, and laser ablations. We also have extensive expertise in performing innovative neuromodulation procedures, where we implant a small device into the body to override the electrical currents causing seizures. We have successfully performed vagus nerve stimulation surgery for two decades, before this therapy was widely available. We also offer the innovative NeuroPace procedure and deep brain stimulation for multifocal epilepsy.
- Wide-ranging support services: It is common to experience anxiety, depression, or other uncomfortable feelings due to the uncertainties of living with epilepsy. We provide education, support groups, and resources through the Epilepsy Foundation of Western Pennsylvania to support you through any emotional challenges.
- Focus on research: Our epilepsy specialists are national leaders in epilepsy research. This focus helps us offer promising treatments, such as novel medications, before they are widely available.
Expert epilepsy treatment at AHN
Our hospitals use the latest treatments, which may include medication, surgery, or both. Your care team will tailor a treatment plan that addresses your needs. Our goal is to find therapies that manage your symptoms and maximize your quality of life.
Medications effectively control seizures for two-thirds of people with epilepsy. Your physician will work closely with you to determine the right medication and dosage for you.
When medication is not enough to manage your symptoms, we may recommend more testing, such as advanced monitoring in our Epilepsy Monitoring Unit. This sophisticated testing helps us understand which part of the brain causes your seizures, so we can choose a surgical approach that is more likely to be effective.
Our physicians are highly experienced in performing the latest epilepsy treatments, including innovative neuromodulation procedures such as vagus nerve stimulation surgery and NeuroPace. See what makes these treatments so effective by learning more about what is epilepsy.
AHN Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
Allegheny General Hospital
320 East North Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15212