If your feet are “talking to you,” listen to them. Foot pain can lead to medical problems that get in the way of an active, independent lifestyle. Fortunately, relief is within reach. At Allegheny Health Network (AHN), physicians combine expertise with the latest treatments to help you achieve lasting relief.
Foot and Ankle Division of AHN
AHN is home to podiatrists (foot doctors) and orthopaedic surgeons who successfully treat foot pain and ankle problems. Our team includes physicians with decades of experience who are recognized leaders in their fields. We listen carefully as you describe the problem, and we recommend the treatments that best meet your needs.
Highlights of our Foot and Ankle Division include:
- Uncommon expertise: Our podiatrists are among the few in western Pennsylvania capable of relieving foot pain and severe problems due to Charcot. This problem occurs in people with diabetes who experience a series of bone fractures (breaks) that change the shape and functioning of the foot.
- Nonsurgical treatments: We help many people achieve foot pain relief with nonsurgical treatments such as braces that support the foot or ankle as it heals. You may also work with certified physical therapists who use gentle exercises to relax stiff muscles. Find out more about orthopaedic physical therapy.
- Commitment to research: AHN podiatrists and orthopaedic foot and ankle experts are advancing care through research. Our interests include the role of vitamin D in promoting bone healing and the effectiveness of getting back on your feet earlier after surgery. Find out more about AHN’s Orthopaedic Research Institute.
- Leaders in the field: Since 1996, we have been training up-and-coming foot and ankle surgeons through a medical residency program.
Advanced foot and ankle procedures
Our experience treating complex problems helps us deliver safe, effective care. You have access to the complete range of foot and ankle treatments, including sophisticated repair and reconstruction procedures.
Foot and ankle procedures available at AHN include:
- Arthroscopy: If you’re experiencing foot pain from arthritis, arthroscopy can help. During this minimally invasive procedure, we use small instruments to examine and repair the joint. Find out more about arthroscopy.
- Ankle replacement surgery: We replace worn-out or damaged ankle joints with a device made of metal and plastic. Read more about ankle replacement surgery.
- Reconstructive surgery: This treatment helps you overcome a severe injury or complications from a disease, such as a bad infection, that make it difficult to use the affected area. We use a variety of techniques to restore a natural appearance and improve functioning.
- Amputation: In rare cases, amputation, a procedure to surgically remove a portion or all of your foot, is necessary. You may need amputation if you experience complications of diabetes or bone cancer. We help you retain as much healthy tissue as possible so you can have a good quality of life.
Foot and ankle conditions we treat
At AHN, you receive exceptional care, including an accurate diagnosis and care that meets your needs. Find out more about foot and ankle pain.
Conditions we treat include:
- Arthritis in the feet, ankles, or toes
- Complications of orthopaedic trauma, including broken bones that do not heal as expected
- Congenital conditions, including overlapping or webbed toes
- Foot problems related to diabetes, including infections and complications from nerve damage
- Serious injuries, including joint dislocations (orthopaedic trauma)
- Sports injuries, such as plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN Orthopaedic services.