The Hand and Upper Extremity Division of the AHN Orthopaedic Institute is home to orthopaedic surgeons with additional training (fellowships) in hand surgery. Our skill is not limited to hands: We treat the whole upper extremity, including the wrist, arm, elbow, and shoulder. Our care consistently helps people with problems, including injuries and arthritis, live a better quality of life.
Highlights of our program include:
- Exceptional care: AHN successfully treats some of the most complex problems in western Pennsylvania. For example, our surgeons have performed innovative nerve transfer surgeries to help people regain lost movement.
- Uncommon expertise: Our hand surgery team specializes in treating conditions affecting the brachial plexus, a bundle of nerves that controls arm sensation and movement. We are researching how to help people recover faster and regain more of their function. Find out more about the Center for Brachial Plexus Injuries.
- Nonsurgical treatments: If you have arthritis, you may feel better with physical therapy. Our team includes certified hand therapists who use exercises and custom braces to relieve pain. Learn more about orthopaedic physical therapy.
- Commitment to research: Our experts are improving care for serious problems, such as tendon tears. We are researching how surgically repairing a tendon instead of letting it heal on its own leads to less pain and an earlier return to activities.
- Leaders in the field: Our physicians speak at national conferences to share research findings with other hand surgeons. We are also training the next generation of hand surgeons by publishing research and running a hand surgery fellowship program.
We deliver exceptional care for a range of conditions. Read more about hand and upper extremity problems.Common conditions we treat include:
- Congenital (present at birth) defects in adults and children, including missing fingers
- Injuries, including cuts and broken bones (orthopaedic trauma)
- Nerve problems, including carpal tunnel syndrome
- Sports injuries, such as tennis elbow and golfer’s elbow
- Sprains and strains
At AHN, you have access to a broad range of treatments, including:
- Arthroscopy: We examine and repair joint problems, including wrist arthritis, using sophisticated equipment and tiny incisions. Find out more about arthroscopy.
- Shoulder replacement surgery: We replace arthritic shoulder joints with an artificial joint made of metal and plastic. Read more about shoulder replacement surgery.
- Microvascular surgery: We help you regain blood supply and function by reconnecting small blood vessels. You may need microvascular surgery after receiving a deep cut or amputation.
- Nerve repair: We perform sophisticated procedures to repair damaged or pinched nerves. We often perform carpal tunnel release for finger numbness.
- Reconstructive surgery: We correct congenital defects such as connected (webbed) fingers. Reconstructive surgery restores a more natural appearance and improves function.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN Orthopaedic services.