If you know or love someone with liver disease, you may feel overwhelmed by the many unknowns that lie ahead. At Allegheny Health Network (AHN) Surgery Institute, we can help you navigate your health — no matter the situation.
Our physicians team up so they can tailor treatments to you. And our hepatobiliary surgeons’ expertise delivers consistently exceptional results for patients facing the most complicated health issues.
Physicians from hepatology (the medical specialty focusing on the liver and nearby organs) and other specialties work together on your care. They deliver personalized diagnosis and treatment for problems affecting the liver and bile duct system. Learn more about our liver transplant and hepatology program.
Highlights of our program include:
- Well-trained specialists: Our surgeons are board-certified and fellowship-trained in hepatology care. This training leads to the effective diagnosis and treatment of many routine and rare conditions affecting the liver and bile duct system.
- Robotics expertise: We successfully treat both infectious and noninfectious liver diseases using sophisticated robotics technology. We are one of a few centers in the region treating liver disease in this way. Our surgeons’ skill with robotics allows them to perform complex procedures, such as combined colorectal and liver surgery.
- Advanced treatments: Our liver cancer program treats disease using a noninvasive therapy called stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT). This liver cancer treatment effectively kills cancer cells while helping patients avoid significant side effects. SBRT also helps patients become candidates for transplant surgery.
- Comprehensive surgery options: Our surgeons perform all types of liver surgery. They are skilled in traditional (open) techniques as well as minimally invasive approaches. They always recommend the least invasive procedure to effectively address your problem. This approach often means a faster recovery and better results for our patients.
Our care teams closely evaluate your condition before determining your treatment options. Our surgeons’ expertise means we can successfully treat more patients with surgery.
Our surgeons treat many liver and bile duct conditions, including:
- Adenomas: Benign (noncancerous) liver tumors
- Bile duct injury: Damage to the bile duct that can happen during surgery
- Liver and bile duct cancer: Cancer cells that develop in the liver or nearby structures (called bile ducts). Learn more about liver cancer.
- Liver hemangiomas: A mass of blood vessels that develops on the liver
- Liver cysts: Fluid-filled sacs that aren’t cancerous
- Metastatic liver cancer: Cancer cells that develop somewhere else in the body and spread to the liver
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN hepatobiliary surgery services.