Oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMFS) is an ADA-recognized dental specialty that focuses on the soft tissues and bones near your head, neck, and face. Our physicians diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and defects that affect how the hard and soft tissues of this region look and function.
We care for the most complex cases at Allegheny General Hospital. You can also receive specialized dental implant and other innovative services at certain locations within the AHN network.
OMFS surgeons provide highly specialized services to evaluate and treat urgent and chronic conditions affecting the head and neck area. To provide this level of care, our physicians have undergone extensive training in OMFS surgery.
We also offer:
- Surgical expertise: After four years of dental school, oral and maxillofacial surgeons receive four to six years of medical and hospital training, including anesthesia, trauma, and general surgery. This training leads to certification by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Comprehensive care: Our OMFS surgeons work closely with trauma teams to treat patients who experience cheekbone, jaw, and other facial fractures. Our team also provides comprehensive care for dental implants and complex dental cases, such as wisdom teeth and other extractions. We perform these procedures under general anesthesia when it may benefit you. Learn more about dental implants.
- Research-based innovations: Our team participates in several research efforts. This research allows us to provide patients with promising new therapies. For example, our team pioneered total joint replacement procedures of the temporomandibular joint (by the jaw). They also train other physicians on this topic. And they perform sleep apnea surgery, which requires moving bones in the jaw to relieve sleep apnea symptoms.
- Team mindset: We work with ear, nose, and throat (ENT) physicians, plastic surgeons, and cancer specialists to treat trauma or disease that affects the face and neck area. This close collaboration helps us treat disease while preserving and restoring body function and appearance.
Our surgeons perform oral and maxillofacial procedures at Allegheny General Hospital and other locations within our network. We offer:
- Dental extractions
- Dental implants
- Facial reconstruction
- Obstructive sleep apnea surgery
- TMJ joint replacement
- Wisdom teeth removal
- Corrective jaw surgery
- General anesthesia and IV (conscious) sedation
Learn more about the wide variety of oral and maxillofacial surgery procedures on the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons: The Experts in Face, Mouth and Jaw Surgery® website.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 or request an appointment to learn more about AHN oral and maxillofacial surgery services.