Primary care for Women
You’re busy. You’re stressed. You don’t always have time to prioritize your health. Allegheny Health Network (AHN) makes it easy to take care of yourself, because we specialize in women’s health at convenient locations, close to home. We want you to feel good about balancing your care needs — and your busy life. Our well-woman care focuses on keeping you healthy and preventing illness before it starts.
Primary care at Allegheny Health Network: why choose us?
At AHN, we specialize in delivering top-quality care with a personal focus, geared specifically to women’s unique health needs. We are here for you, no matter what type of care you need, where and when you need it.
When you choose AHN, you can expect:
- Convenience: We want you to stay healthy, on your schedule. With more than 45 women’s health (OB-GYN) locations, 100 primary care locations and multiple women’s health centers throughout western Pennsylvania, it’s easy to find a primary care provider close to home.
- Woman-centric care: Our primary care providers — doctors, nurses, and staff — focus on treating women’s health specifically. We know that women’s health issues manifest differently than men’s, and we tailor our prevention and treatment with a woman’s needs in mind.
What is primary care
Women’s bodies go through many changes over a lifetime. That’s why we offer women’s health care specific for each stage, to keep you feeling your best. Our primary care providers specialize in women’s health at every age.
At AHN, you can expect a primary care provider who is:
- Thorough, and assesses your personal risk factors for health conditions or diseases
- Compassionate, serving as an informed resource for your physical and mental health
- Detailed, knowing your personal health history and tailoring your care to individual risk factors
- Informed, notifying you of screenings, immunizations, and emerging public health alerts
Primary care at AHN: conditions we treat
We know you’re busy and don’t have time for multiple appointments. At AHN, much of your well woman treatment can be handled exclusively by our women’s health (OB-GYN) and primary care providers. They diagnose and coordinate your care for a variety of women’s health issues, including:
- Well women examinations and age related disease screening
- Cardiovascular disease prevention and management
- Thyroid disease
- Behavioral health concerns: poor social functioning, depression, anxiety
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and associated metabolic risks
- Contraceptive counseling
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorders, which are severe forms of premenstrual syndrome, and abnormal periods
- Osteoporosis, when the body loses bone with age
- Chronic disease prevention through lifestyle and dietary change
Primary care at AHN: specialties
When screenings detect conditions requiring further assessment and/or treatment, our women’s health (OB-GYN) and primary care providers offer comprehensive, compassionate care. By working collaboratively, as a team, they provide the treatment you need.
Your primary care provider can coordinate care for:
- Diabetes, which occurs when the body’s inability to produce insulin causes elevated glucose levels in the blood. The Allegheny Health Network Center for Diabetes and Endocrine Health offers the most comprehensive care in the tri-state area, with board-certified endocrinologists, certified diabetes educators, registered dietitians, registered nurses, and nurse practitioners.
- Functional bowel disease, which is twice as common in women as in men. The Allegheny Center for Digestive Health Functional Bowel Center offers a collaborative, multidisciplinary approach to treating women’s bowel health, including moderate to severe irritable bowel syndrome. This comprehensive care happens in one place, in one day, saving you time and money.