Through Primary Care at Allegheny Health Network (AHN), we support your health at every stage, from birth to age 100 and beyond. Our primary care doctors offer compassionate, comprehensive, and personalized care to children, adolescents, adults, and seniors to maximize your health and wellbeing. If you require further assessment, we can connect you to other AHN specialists. Working together as a team, our providers will provide the treatment you need.
Who are the primary care specialists?
Different kinds of physicians provide primary care, and there can be overlap in their scope. For example, an adult can see a general internist or a family physician. An elderly person can see a geriatrician, family physician or general internist. A toddler could be seen by a pediatrician or family physician, and an older teenager could see a family physician, pediatrician or general internists for their primary care. Some of these primary care specialists also care for their hospitalized patients. Here is some information about each AHN primary care specialty:
- Pediatrics: Pediatrics is a specialty that provides comprehensive primary medical care to children from birth to at least age 18 or 21. Pediatric doctors are called pediatricians. Some pediatricians care for their patients in the hospital, including newborn care.
- Family medicine: Family medicine is a specialty that provides comprehensive primary care to individuals of all ages – from birth to old age – and has specialized training to treat entire families. Family medicine doctors, or family physicians, have broad training that includes women’s health, skin and other office procedures and some mental health treatment. Many AHN family physicians also care for their patients in the hospital and some deliver babies.
- Internal medicine: Internal medicine is a specialty that deals with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of illnesses in adults. Internal medicine doctors are called internists. While most internists go on to further subspecialized training (for example in cardiology or endocrinology), general internists are the subset of internists who specialize in providing comprehensive primary care of adults and older adolescents. Some AHN internists also provide women’s health, office procedures and hospital care.
- Geriatrics: Geriatrics is a specialty that manages the unique health needs of elderly patients, including preventing, diagnosing, and treating illnesses. Geriatric doctors are called geriatricians and see patients in the office, hospital and nursing home.
What to expect from our primary care doctors
We can guide you in finding the best primary care provider for you and your family – and you’ll enjoy better health as a result. Our physicians provide:
- Holistic, patient-centered care to help patients achieve their maximum health and wellbeing
- Preventive medicine, including tests, screenings, and immunizations for all ages
- Diagnosis and treatment for chronic illnesses
- Women’s health care
- Same-day sick visits
- Annual wellness exams
- Rapid on-site testing for many conditions
- Counseling for mental health issues that affect people of all ages, such as depression and anxiety
- Specialized care in some offices including osteopathic manipulation, sports medicine and concussion treatment, HIV care, Hepatitis C treatment, and addiction care.
Referrals to AHN specialists
Our primary care physicians provide compassionate, comprehensive care in a team-based environment. If you require further treatment beyond primary care, we’ll work with other AHN specialists to ensure you have access to top-quality care. We can coordinate care for:
- Diabetes: Diabetes is a condition that occurs when the body can no longer control blood sugar levels. The Allegheny Health Network Center for Diabetes and Endocrine Health has board-certified physicians, diabetes educators, registered dietitians, nurse practitioners, and nurses who offer the highest level of care available in western Pennsylvania.
- Osteopathic manipulation treatment: Osteopathic manipulation benefits people who suffer from musculoskeletal issues. Our osteopathic physicians provide this treatment to reduce muscle and back pain and treat some stress or sports injuries.
- Women’s health: Women’s health includes well-woman exams and woman-focused primary care services. As a woman, your health issues may present differently from men’s. We provide compassionate, personalized women’s health care tailored to your specific health needs. Learn more about women’s health at AHN.
How to find the right primary care provider
It can take a lot of time and energy to find the right doctor. Too often, it requires several appointments and referrals before you find the primary care doctor who can meet your personal needs.
At AHN, we take the guesswork and stress out of finding your ideal provider with our first-of-its-kind Doctor Match Quiz. Here’s how it works:
- Take the quiz, which measures 20 dimensions of compatibility between doctors and patients. These dimensions cover everything from your preferred communication style to your availability and more.
- Our unique formula searches through doctor profiles to find the closest matches based on your personal answers.
- Connect with your doctor and start a lasting relationship based on trust and understanding.
Call (412) DOCTORS (412) 362-8677 to learn more about our primary care services or request an appointment today.